The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) connects your jaw to your skull. Each joint has a disc between the ball and socket that cushions the load of the joint. These joints allow you to move your jaw up and down and side to side so you can speak, eat, and yawn. Issues with the TMJs and the surrounding areas are called TMJ disorders. The following can cause TMJ disorders:
- Injury to the TMJ or the muscles in your head or neck
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Movement of the disc between the ball and socket of the TMJ
- Arthritis in the TMJ
- Stress, which can cause you to tighten the muscles in your face or jaw
If you experience any of the following symptoms, Dr. Deore and Dr. Jones will treat TMJ in Coppell, Texas:
- Pain in the face, jaw joint, neck, shoulders, or ear area when you move your jaw
- Issues when you try to open your mouth wide
- Clicking or grating sounds when you use your jaw
- A tired feeling in the face
- Trouble chewing
- A suddenly uncomfortable bite
- Swelling in the face
When patient has a TMJ disorder, our dentists will supply them with a custom-made night guard. This will protect their teeth and jaws from the effects of teeth grinding.
To learn more and to schedule your next appointment, contact Coppell Smiles today.